Q: What are some detox tips for someone who is transitioning into a healthier eating routine?
I love the word detox, even though it may seem extreme to some, I think it is a motivating term! It is always good to get rid of toxins in our bodies! This is a great question. I’m a big believer in small changes because they add up over time and have the best lasting results. Here are a few easy tips that you can use today to transition into healthy eating routine
- Cut out the crap. If you can, reduce or eliminate processed foods. Anything that comes in a box or bag and has more then 3-4 ingredients should be let go for a little while. Reduce you sugar intake significantly. My tastebuds completely changed when I reduced my sugar intake.
- Replace them with good, whole foods. Find alternatives to your favorite snacks and meals. Experiment with your favorite flavors. I’m a big fan of taking your favorite meals and “healthifying” them. For example, I love creamy soups. Instead of getting a creamy, salty, processed soup to-go, I have an array of creamy soup recipes (one of them is the green machine broccoli cheddar soup that I have on here!) where I’ve subbed healthy ingredients like cannellini beans and parsnips to get the same texture.
- Try new things. I always recommend going to your local health food store and just exploring. I love wholefoods, and though I rarely do my main shopping there (not exactly in the a mid 20’s girl’s budget), I get so many ideas about what’s ‘hot’. Also, their hot and cold food bar is like reading a cookbook for me. They always have some awesome combos of salads, meals, etc. that I can easily recreate at home.
- Don’t make it complicated. We all have busy lives. Whether its work, school or family, there aren’t enough hours in the day to do what we all want to do so don’t make it complicated. Find simple recipes and tips to incorporate in your lifestyle daily. Small changes reap the largest benefit
- Drink lemon water. I LOVE lemon water!!! For some reason, it curbs my appetite and leaves me feeling refreshed. It also has an array of health benefits like vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium and potassium. Definitely dilute it in water thoroughly though as it is not so great for the enamel on your teeth.
Hope this helps! Happy weekend everyone